50-State Insurance Licensing Compliance Guide

An overhead view of a woman signing forms

Firms and individuals in the insurance industry need licenses to provide services. Licensing is regulated at the state level and some lines of authority are subject to federal regulation. Insurance licensing requirements vary by state and by type of insurance services offered.

From large insurance carriers to small independent adjusters, most insurance service providers need to be licensed before conducting business. Insurance licenses fall into two main categories:

  • Individual Licenses - for persons providing insurance related services.
  • Firm Licenses - for agencies, brokerages, and other businesses that offer service but do not hold the risk associated with the policies they work on.

Some non-traditional insurance outlets may also need to hold licenses. Car rental companies, storage facilities, portable electronics, or travel agencies that offer insurance packages are licensed as limited lines in some states. Call center employees that take phone calls on behalf of insurance service businesses may also need to hold individual licenses depending on the nature of their calls.

Firms and individuals that provide services in multiple states must hold a license in each state where they provide service. Licenses typically need to be renewed annually or biennially. Many states have reciprocal agreements that help streamline the application process, and in some cases, license holders may not need to take additional examinations in the states to which they expand.

Individual Licenses

Individuals that sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance are required to hold an individual agent or broker license for the lines of authority in which they deal. Persons acting as an insurance adjuster, serving as a managing general agent, or negotiating and settling claims are also usually required to have a license.

Before applying for a license, applicants must often complete educational courses and pass an exam. After passing all required exams, applicants should submit the relevant application. Many states now use third parties to guide and administer license exams and applications to promote efficiency.

States often require applicants to submit fingerprints and complete a background check during the application process. Depending on the type of service an individual provides, additional documentation or filings may be required.

Licenses must be renewed annually in most cases, but some licenses have biennial or other renewal terms.

Insurance Firm Licenses

Firms that provide insurance-related services but do not have ownership of the policies themselves are also required to be licensed. Examples of these firms include:

  • General managing firms
  • Insurance adjusters businesses
  • Insurance producers businesses
  • Limited lines producers
  • Third-party administrator businesses
  • Title insurance agencies

State-level insurance departments oversee licensing and regulation. However, many states encourage firms to apply for a license through a third party. Applications vary based on the service offerings and lines of authority a business covers. Companies that provide multiple services may need to hold more than one license.

Applications commonly require name approval, proof of incorporation, a list of officers, and sometimes a surety bond. States also require businesses to designate an agent in charge of the application. The agent in charge is a licensed individual responsible for the legal compliance of the business and employees. Agents must be licensed in the same lines of authority that the firm is licensed to provide.

Learn About Insurance Licensing in Each State

The Harbor Compliance License Manager helps insurance professionals maintain their licenses by automating repetitive tasks like tracking renewals. Through License Manager, you can also access Compliance Core™ data for the states in which you work, reducing the time you need to spend researching state requirements. Contact our licensing experts today to learn more.