Vermont Nonprofit Compliance

Required annual filings

This guide covers the required filings to maintain a nonprofit corporation in Vermont. If you are looking to form nonprofit in Vermont, please visit our Start Your Vermont Nonprofit guide. The steps below apply to nonprofits that are both incorporated and foreign qualified in Vermont. Please note that this is a general list and may not be exhaustive or applicable to all nonprofits.

A smiling woman in front of her computer.
1 File IRS Form 990
Agency:Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

IRS Form 990-N, 990-EZ, 990-PF or 990


See Form 990 Thresholds to determine which form to file.  Then see Current Form 990 Series for instructions.


By the 15th day of the 5th month following the end of the taxable year.  For most organizations, the tax year ends December 31 so the Form 990 is due May 15.

2 File Vermont Corporate Tax Exemption Renewals

Not required

There is no renewal requirement for Vermont tax exemption.

More information: Vermont Department of Taxes
3 File Vermont Sales Tax Exemption Renewals

Not required

There is no renewal requirement for Vermont tax exemption.

4 File Vermont Biennial Report
Agency:Vermont Secretary of State - Division of Corporations

To file your biennial report by correspondence with a traditional paper check, you must complete the online filing process (above) and select this option at the end as a method of payment.

Filing Method:

Mail or online.

Agency Fee:



By April 1 of the calendar year following incorporation or foreign qualification and biennially thereafter. Reports may be filed as early as January 1.


Vermont Statutes Title 11b § 16.22

Original Ink:Not required
Notarization Required?:Not required

$25 late fee. Your nonprofit also risks being dissolved or revoked.

  • Anyone with authority may file.
  • Original signatures are not required.
5Maintain a Vermont Registered Agent

Maintain a registered agent that has a street address in Vermont. The registered agent is responsible for receiving legal documents such as service of process. Appointing a registered agent service is often preferable to listing an officer or director, as their information often changes. Consider using our registered agent service in Shelburne , VT to maintain compliance with the state requirement.

Contact Our Team

Complete the form and we will reach out within one business day.

Continue reading

Fundraising Compliance

Learn how to stay compliant with charitable solicitation laws.

Read the guide