50-State Engineering Licensing Compliance Guide
Side view of a long, arched bridge

Hazardous Materials Transportation License

As the owner or operator of an engineering firm, you may come into contact with hazardous materials. Learn how to obtain a hazardous materials transportation license.

What Is a Hazardous Materials Transporter?

The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) ensures the safe management of hazardous wastes. Under the act, the EPA establishes the requirements for the treatment, storage, and disposal of hazardous wastes. The program aims to encourage a cradle-to-grave management system for hazardous waste to prevent dangerous releases and avoid Superfund cleanups.

To properly treat, store, or dispose of hazardous materials, companies are required to obtain permission in the form of an RCRA permit, also known as an endorsement, which establishes how facilities are to manage hazardous materials and waste.

State Authorization

With the RCRA, Congress intended the states to assume primary responsibility for imposing hazardous waste regulations. For a state to lead as an implementing agency, it must be authorized by the EPA. The authorization ensures state programs are at least equivalent to federal rules.

You must be aware of state requirements regarding licensure when establishing and expanding your business. If the idea of business licensing is overwhelming, Harbor Compliance can help. Our professional licensing services explain all stages of business compliance and provide full-service support and expert processing insights.

Check Your Status For Free  Understand your current status and see recommended actions. Get Your Free  Harbor Compliance Score

How to Obtain a Hazardous Materials Transportation License

As you start the process of opening or expanding your transportation business, you will need to apply for the proper licenses. The transportation of hazardous materials is regulated at federal and state levels. While the federal process is the same everywhere, state requirements vary. ome states have more stringent policies than others, so it is essential to understand your obligations to make the process as easy as possible.

To begin transporting hazardous materials anywhere in the United States, you need to acquire a HAZMAT endorsement through the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). The process includes the following steps:

  1. Complete an online application or complete the process at an application center. Note that if you live in the following states, you will need to visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles for application and fingerprinting information:
    • Florida
    • Kentucky
    • Maryland
    • New York
    • Pennsylvania
    • Texas
    • Virginia
    • Wisconsin
  2. Once you have completed the endorsement application, you need to schedule an appointment to have it reviewed and approved.
  3. The final step is visiting the application center or DMV to provide required documentation and fingerprints, and to pay a non-refundable fee that ensures your endorsement is valid for five years.

If you are struggling with obtaining the authorizations you need to manage hazardous materials as an engineering firm, Harbor Compliance can help. We make preparing and filing licensing applications accessible, and we handle communication with government agencies on your behalf. With our compliance software, you can track your registration status, license numbers, filing history, fees, and renewals 24/7.

Maintenance and Renewal

No matter what stage you are in with your business, you need to maintain your license’s status. State requirements vary, but renewals are often required annually or biennially. You may need to submit a renewal application, pay a renewal fee, or pursue continuing education. Complying with renewal requirements will ensure you can continue to operate your business without disruption.

Keeping on track with your business’s license renewals can be complicated, especially as a growing company. At Harbor Compliance, our managed annual reporting and registered agent services ensure accurate due date tracking and on-time filing. This way, your business will continue to be compliant with state and local requirements, and you will have the time you need to continue working and expanding your clientele.

If you are currently operating a hazardous materials transportation business and are looking to outsource your maintenance and renewal duties, Harbor Compliance can help. We are available to review your business status, ensure you are in good standing in the state where you operate, and explain what steps you need to take to ensure you remain compliant with state and federal regulations.

Explore Licensing by State

Click on a link below to view licensing information in your state.

Meeting the engineering license requirements is not always an easy process. Fortunately, Harbor Compliance License Manager helps construction professionals maintain their licenses by automating repetitive tasks such as tracking renewals. Through License Manager, you can also access Compliance Core™ - our extensive, proprietary database of nationwide licensing information - to research the requirements for the states in which you work. These tools reduce the time you spend researching state requirements and prepare your organization for success. Contact our licensing experts today to learn more.

Design Firm - Engineering firm registration is sometimes grouped with architecture and land surveying on a single “design firm” application form.

EI (Engineering Intern) - A term also used to describe an Engineer in Training.

EIT (Engineer in Training) - A professional designation granted upon having completed at least 3 years of school at an ABET-accredited university and having passed the FE exam.

FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) - An exam testing on basic engineering principles that is required to become an engineer in training.

PE (Professional Engineer or 'Principles and Practice in Engineering') - Means either Professional Engineer or refers to the Principles and Practice in Engineering exam that is a prerequisite for an engineering license.

Reciprocity - When a licensed engineer in one state can provide documentation (often an NCEES Record) to more easily apply for a license in another jurisdiction.

Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
Accrediting board that sets standards for university programs in a variety of applied science disciplines.

American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
Engineering, architecture, and land surveying advocacy group.

American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Organization that provides continuing education, professional conferences, and advocacy efforts to the civil engineering community.

American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Mechanical engineering organization that focuses on education and professional development.

Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC)
Reviews accreditation requirements and makes final decisions regarding the accreditation process.

National Council of Examiners for Engineering & Surveying (NCEES)
Develops, administers, and scores the exams used for engineering licenses.

National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
NSPE is an advocacy group for professional engineers.