Hawaii Engineering License

View Guide Contents
An image of our License Manager software on a desk

Licensing requirements for Hawaii engineers and firms.

This page provides an overview of engineering licensing in Hawaii for individuals and firms. You will find state requirements, application fees, filing instructions, and more. For assistance with licensing, please contact us to learn about our software and managed license services.

Filter LicensesClear Filters
Company Licenses
Individual Licenses

Company Licenses

Hawaii Engineering Company Licenses

Hawaii Engineering License

Not required

Engineering firms are not licensed at the state level in Hawaii. Business entities are permitted to practice architecture provided that they comply with HAR § 16-115-4.

More information: Hawaii Board of Professional Engineers, Architects, Surveyors & Landscape Architects

Hawaii Geology Firm License

Not required

Registration Not Required

Not required

Individual Licenses

Hawaii Individual Engineering Licenses

Hawaii Geologist License

Not required

Registration Not Required

Not required

Hawaii Professional Engineer License

Agency:Hawaii Board of Professional Engineers, Architects, Surveyors & Landscape Architects

Initial Registration


Application for Licensure - Engineer

Agency fee:

$100 exam fee + either $114 or $216 license fee depending on when the license will be issued.

Registration Renewal

Filing method:


Agency fee:



By April 30 of even-numbered years.

Design Firm - Engineering firm registration is sometimes grouped with architecture and land surveying on a single “design firm” application form.

EI (Engineering Intern) - A term also used to describe an Engineer in Training.

EIT (Engineer in Training) - A professional designation granted upon having completed at least 3 years of school at an ABET-accredited university and having passed the FE exam.

FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) - An exam testing on basic engineering principles that is required to become an engineer in training.

PE (Professional Engineer or 'Principles and Practice in Engineering') - Means either Professional Engineer or refers to the Principles and Practice in Engineering exam that is a prerequisite for an engineering license.

Reciprocity - When a licensed engineer in one state can provide documentation (often an NCEES Record) to more easily apply for a license in another jurisdiction.

Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
Accrediting board that sets standards for university programs in a variety of applied science disciplines.

American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
Engineering, architecture, and land surveying advocacy group.

American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Organization that provides continuing education, professional conferences, and advocacy efforts to the civil engineering community.

American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Mechanical engineering organization that focuses on education and professional development.

Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC)
Reviews accreditation requirements and makes final decisions regarding the accreditation process.

National Council of Examiners for Engineering & Surveying (NCEES)
Develops, administers, and scores the exams used for engineering licenses.

National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
NSPE is an advocacy group for professional engineers.

Learn about engineering licensing in other states:

Engineering License Service

Our experts help engineering firms, land surveying firms, and their professionals manage licensing nationwide.

© 2012 - 2019 Harbor Compliance. All rights reserved. Harbor Compliance does not provide tax, financial, or legal advice. Use of our services does not create an attorney-client relationship. Harbor Compliance is not acting as your attorney and does not review information you provide to us for legal accuracy or sufficiency. Access to our website is subject to our Terms of Use and Service Agreement.