Employment Services Industry Licensing Guide

Employment Services Industry Licensing

New Hampshire Employment Agency

An image of our License Manager software on a desk

Licensing requirements for New Hampshire employment, staffing and talent agencies.

This page provides an overview of employment services licensing in New Hampshire for individuals and agencies. You will find state requirements, application fees, filing instructions, and more. For assistance with licensing, please contact us to learn about our software and managed license services.

Companies that provide employment services in New Hampshire must apply for a license prior to doing business. Depending on the services offered, businesses may need to apply for more than one license type, and in some cases, an individual license will be required as well.

Company Licenses

New Hampshire Employment Services Company Licenses

Companies acting as employment agencies in New Hampshire must obtain the following licenses before offering employment services. Applications usually require proof of incorporation or a certificate of authority.

New Hampshire Employment Agency License

Not required

In addition to employment agency licenses, some states also offers a license specific to talent agencies. Applications usually require proof of incorporation, and out of state employment firms must qualify as foreign entities with the secretary of state prior to obtaining a license.

New Hampshire Professional Employer Organization License

Agency:New Hampshire Department of Labor

Initial Registration

Agency Fee:


Registration Renewal

Agency Fee:



New Hampshire Talent Agency License

Not required

Employee Leasing Company - Enter into leasing contracts with other businesses that require labor. The leasing company loans its workers to the lessee while still providing specified responsibilities, such as workers compensation insurance, to the employees. This includes long term (6 months or more) temporary arrangements but often excludes temporary help arrangements. Unlike professional employer organizations, employee leasing companies are contracted when an employer needs to hire staff and does not want to handle human resources responsibilities.

Employment Agency - An entity that, for compensation, procures or attempts to procure employment for a person.

Professional Employer Organization - PEOs take on the human resources role for businesses and act as a co-employer in the sense that the client company's workers are administratively employees of the PEO but functionally these employees are controlled by the client company. Unlike employee leasing companies, PEOs are contracted when an employer already has staff and does not want to handle human resources responsibilities.

Staffing Agency - An entity that procures temporary or part-time employment for a person who then works under the supervision of a worksite employer.

Talent Agency - An entity that, for compensation, procures or attempts to procure employment or placement for an artist. (Certain art forms are excluded)

American Staffing Association
Staffing, recruiting, and workforce solution industry advocacy group.

National Association of Personnel Services (NAPS)
Education and training oriented association for personnel services providers.

National Association of Professional Employer Organizations (NAPEO)
Provides advocacy efforts, information, and other services to members of the employment industry.

Get Help With Your Company’s Licensing

We provide software and expert service to help employment services companies navigate licensing.

© 2012 - 2020 Harbor Compliance. All rights reserved. Harbor Compliance does not provide tax, financial, or legal advice. Use of our services does not create an attorney-client relationship. Harbor Compliance is not acting as your attorney and does not review information you provide to us for legal accuracy or sufficiency. Access to our website is subject to our Terms of Use and Service Agreement.