New Mexico Architecture License

View Guide Contents
A pencil, ruler, and set of blueprints

Licensing requirements for New Mexico architects and firms.

This page provides an overview of architecture licensing in New Mexico for individuals and firms. You will find state requirements, application fees, filing instructions, and more. For assistance with licensing, please contact us to learn about our software and managed license services.

Company Licenses

New Mexico Architecture Company Licenses

New Mexico Architecture Firm License

Not required

Firm licenses are not issued at the state level, however, a licensed individual must oversee all architectural work. Firms should consult board rules and state statutes before doing business.

More information: New Mexico Board of Examiners for Architects

New Mexico Landscape Architecture Firm License

Not required

More information: New Mexico Board of Landscape Architects

Individual Licenses

New Mexico Individual Architecture Licenses

New Mexico Architect License

Agency:New Mexico Board of Examiners for Architects
NCARB Certificate:Required
Completion of CE/PDH:Required
Interview:Not required
NAAB-accredited degree:Required
NCARB IDP:Required
Additional Experience:Not required
State-specific exam:Required

Initial Registration

This section applies to architects that are applying for a license in New Mexico for the first time.

Form:By contacting the New Mexico Board following the Board’s receipt of the individual’s NCARB certificate.
Agency fee:

Registration fee + exam fee of $50.00 for those with in-state residency or $100.00 for those who live out-of-state

Reciprocal Registration

This section applies to architects licensed in another state that are looking for reciprocal licensure in New Mexico.

Agency fee:


Registration Renewal

This section applies to architects that are already licensed in New Mexico and need to renew their license.

Agency fee:

$225.00 for in-state residency; $325.00 for out-of-state residency.


By December 31 of odd-numbered years.

Learn about architecture licensing in other states:

ARE (Architect Registration Examination) - Assesses candidates for their knowledge, skills, and ability to provide the various services required to be a practicing architect.

AXP (Architectural Experience Program) - NCARB program for architectural internship, a requirement for licensure that occurs after filling the educational requirements.

BEFA (Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect) - An alternative NCARB certification that allows foreign architects to independently practice architecture.

COA (Certificate of Authorization) - The most common name of the registration required for firms to practice architecture in a given state.

Design Firm - Architectural firm registration is sometimes grouped with engineering and land surveying on a single “design firm” application form.

NCARB Certification - Licensed architects have the option to become Certificate holders to signify that they have met national standards established by U.S. licensing boards for protecting public health, safety, and welfare. Certification also facilitates reciprocal registration in all 54 jurisdictions, 11 Canadian jurisdictions, and can be used to support an application for licensure in other countries.

Reciprocity - This is when a licensed architect in one state can provide documentation (often a NCARB certificate) to more easily apply for licensure in another jurisdiction.

State Board - Often referred to as the State Architects Licensure Board or Board of Architects, an individual state’s board serves as the regulatory authority for architects. The board qualifies and licenses individuals seeking architectural licensure. The board is responsible for preserving the public health, safety, and welfare of individuals who occupy built environments.

National Architecture Accrediting Board
NAAB establishes criteria for and accredits professional architecture degree programs in the United States.

The American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS)
AIAS is an independent, student-run group that promotes excellence in architecture education, training, and practice.

The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
AIA is a voluntary professional organization for architects providing advocacy, information, and community.

The Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA)
ACSA represents architectural education programs across the globe.

The National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
NCARB is the national organization representing the state registration boards.

Architecture License Service

Our licensing solutions benefit both firms and individual architects.

© 2012 - 2019 Harbor Compliance. All rights reserved. Harbor Compliance does not provide tax, financial, or legal advice. Use of our services does not create an attorney-client relationship. Harbor Compliance is not acting as your attorney and does not review information you provide to us for legal accuracy or sufficiency. Access to our website is subject to our Terms of Use and Service Agreement.