South Dakota Business Licenses
General Guides & Resources
Get step-by-step guidance for forming and running a compliant organization in South Dakota
Licenses for Regulated Industries
Explore resources for firms in licensed professions like engineering and construction.
Learn what filings to submit to state agencies throughout an organization’s lifecycle.
Get all the information you need to register for state taxes or apply for tax exemption.
State Licensing Agencies
Access state agencies responsible for licensing and regulating South Dakota organizations.
General South Dakota Guides & Resources
These guides provide detailed, step-by-step instructions for starting a business or nonprofit, registering with state authorities, and establishing a compliant organization.
Fast easy instructions and affordable support for filing your South Dakota annual report.
Get your South Dakota business license. Harbor Compliance assists with initial and renewal registrations in every state.
Get your South Dakota construction licenses. Harbor Compliance assists with initial and renewal registrations in every state.
Licensing guide for energy industry registrations and licenses in South Dakota. Find detailed application, renewal, and reporting requirements.
If you are looking to obtain a finance license in South Dakota, Harbor Compliance can help.
Total cost, time, and step-by-step instructions to form a limited liability company in South Dakota. Do it yourself or purchase our formation service.
Total cost, time, and step-by-step instructions on how to incorporate in South Dakota. Do it yourself or purchase our incorporation service.
South Dakota Business Licensing Guides and Information.
Total time, cost, and paperwork to start your business in South Dakota today! Our affordable formation services are state-specific.
Total cost, time, and how to start a nonprofit in South Dakota. Instruction and services to assist with your non-profit formation.
Comprehensive solutions (and free resources) to help manage your fundraising, tax exemption, license renewals, and other nonprofit compliance activities in South Dakota, and across the US.
South Dakota Business Licenses for Regulated Industries
Our licensing guides provide a wealth of information including requirements, filing instructions, fees, timelines to licensure, and more for a range of industries and activities.
South Dakota Corporate Filings
These web pages provide detailed information on state filings required to form an entity, register a name, gain authority to operate, maintain good standing, and more.
- South Dakota Apostille - Authentication
- South Dakota Articles of Incorporation
- South Dakota Articles of Organization
- South Dakota Certificate of Authority
- South Dakota Certificate of Authority - Foreign S.D. Corporation
- South Dakota Certificate of Cancellation Service
- South Dakota Certificate of Good Standing / Existence
- South Dakota Certificate of Merger
- South Dakota Certification - Authentication
- South Dakota Corporation LLC Nonprofit Amendment
- South Dakota Entity Name Reservation
- South Dakota Fictitious Name Registration & Renewal
- South Dakota Nonprofit Articles of Incorporation
- South Dakota Registered Agent (Resident Agent)
- Start a South Dakota 501(c)(3)
South Dakota Tax Filings
Find the information you need to register for state taxes or seek tax exemptions.
- South Dakota Employer (Payroll & Withholding Tax) Registration Service
- South Dakota Sales & Use Tax Registration Service
- South Dakota Sales Tax Exemption
- South Dakota Tax Clearance Certificate
- South Dakota Tax Exemption
South Dakota State Licensing Agencies
Below is a listing of the state-level licensing agencies within South Dakota that a business should check for business license requirements.
- Board of Accountancy
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Waste Management Program - Asbestos Section
- Department of Labor and Regulation - Division of Insurance
- Department of Labor and Regulation - Division of Labor and Management
- Department of Labor and Regulation - Division of Unemployment Insurance
- Department of Labor and Regulation - Electrical Commission
- Department of Labor and Regulation - Plumbing Commission
South Dakota Local Business Licences
Below is a listing of the local jurisdictions within South Dakota that a business should check for local business license requirements.
County / Parish
- Aurora County
- Beadle County
- Bennett County
- Bon Homme County
- Brookings County
- Brown County
- Brule County
- Buffalo County
- Butte County
- Campbell County
- Charles Mix County
- Clark County
- Clay County
- Codington County
- Corson County
- Custer County
- Davison County
- Day County
- Deuel County
- Dewey County
- Douglas County
- Edmunds County
- Fall River County
- Faulk County
- Grant County
- Gregory County
- Haakon County
- Hamlin County
- Hand County
- Hanson County
- Harding County
- Hughes County
- Hutchinson County
- Hyde County
- Jackson County
- Jerauld County
- Jones County
- Kingsbury County
- Lake County
- Lawrence County
- Lincoln County
- Lyman County
- Marshall County
- McCook County
- McPherson County
- Meade County
- Mellette County
- Miner County
- Minnehaha County
- Moody County
- Pennington County
- Perkins County
- Potter County
- Roberts County
- Sanborn County
- Shannon County
- Spink County
- Stanley County
- Sully County
- Todd County
- Tripp County
- Turner County
- Union County
- Walworth County
- Yankton County
- Ziebach County
City / Borough / Municipality / Neighborhood
- Belle Fourche
- Big Stone City
- Box Elder
- Clear Lake
- De Smet
- Dell Rapids
- Eagle Butte
- Elk Point
- Ellsworth Air Force Base
- Fort Pierre
- Fort Thompson
- Hill City
- Hot Springs
- Lake Andes
- Lake Preston
- Long Valley
- Mound City
- Mount Vernon
- New Effington
- New Underwood
- North Sioux City
- Pine Ridge
- Rapid City
- Saint Francis
- Sioux Falls
- South Shore
- Timber Lake
- Valley Springs
- Wessington Springs
- White Lake
- White River
- Willow Lake