California Architects Board

Please Note

We are a service company that can help you file with the California Architects Board. We are not associated with this nor any other government agency. We offer paid services and software to help you file. You are not required to purchase our service to file - you may file directly with this agency without using our service.

Contact Information

Physical address:
2420 Del Paso Road, Suite 105
Sacramento, CA 95834

Phone: 916-574-7220
Fax: 916-575-7283

Web: Home Name search Forms File online


We track the following licenses with the California Architects Board in order to provide compliance services to our clients. As a client, you see this and other reference data in License Manager in-line with your licenses.

A laptop placed on a desk with our License Manager software on display

California Architect License

Agency:California Architects Board
NCARB Certificate:Not required
Completion of CE/PDH:Required
Interview:Not required
NAAB-accredited degree:Not required
NCARB IDP:Required
Additional Experience:Not required
State-specific exam:Required

Initial Registration

This section applies to architects that are applying for a license in California for the first time.


Applications are available on the Board’s website or may be requested by telephone.

Agency Fee:

$300 application fee + $100 exam fee. The $100 is one-time for those candidates who remain active in the examination process (taking at least one examination, pass or fail, every five years. There is an additional fee for the California Supplemental Examination.

Reciprocal Registration

This section applies to architects licensed in another state that are looking for reciprocal licensure in California.

Agency Fee:

$35 California Reciprocity Application fee; $100 California Supplemental Examination fee; $300 Application for Licensure fee.

Registration Renewal

This section applies to architects that are already licensed in California and need to renew their license.

Agency Fee:


Due:Biennially on the last day of the birth month for a licensee.

California Business Entity Report

Agency:California Architects Board

CA Business and Professions Code § 5535.2

Ownership Requirements:

None for corporations. Each director, shareholder, and officer of a PC must be licensed.


California does not issue firm licenses at the state level, however, licensed architects must submit a business entity report form and file an updated report within 30 days of a change in firm information.

Initial Registration

This section applies to architectural firms that are applying for a license in California for the first time. If you already have a license and are looking to renew it, please see the renewal section.


Business Entity Report Form

Filing Method:


Agency Fee:


Renewal Not Required

This section applies to architectural firms that are already licensed in California and need to renew their license.

Not required

Business entity reports only need to be re-filed when there is a change of information.



Business Entity Report Form (Amendment)

Agency Fee:



Licensees must immediately notify the Board of any name and/or address changes. In addition, licensees must submit an updated copy of the business entity form with the new information within 30 days of the change.

Related Government Agencies

Explore other California government agencies we can help you stay compliant with:

Order Registered Agent Service

In my opinion, their "Human Touch" element is what really makes this company stand out! I wouldn't go anywhere else!
JanaeLaw Offices of Donald W. Hudspeth, PC
It's awesome to know that Harbor Compliance is looking out for my customers' best interests and will only do what's right for them.
© 2012 - 2022 Harbor Compliance. All rights reserved. Harbor Compliance does not provide tax, financial, or legal advice. Use of our services does not create an attorney-client relationship. Harbor Compliance is not acting as your attorney and does not review information you provide to us for legal accuracy or sufficiency. Access to our website is subject to our Terms of Use and Service Agreement.