Order your LLC Formation online. It's easy, inexpensive, and guides you through the decisions to set up your LLC the way you want.
How to Form an LLC in Oklahoma
Order your LLC Formation online. It's easy to follow the screens which guide you through the decisions to customize your LLC the way you want.
- Trusted formation services. We serve the compliance needs of 40,000 companies (and counting).
- Immediate online access to your formation wizard, project status, and powerful integration with the secretary of state database to detect when your LLC has been approved.
Affordable investment starting at $99 to set up your limited liability protection.
This guide to starting an LLC in Oklahoma provides step-by-step instructions on filing formation documents, obtaining tax IDs, and setting up company records.
LLCs are the most popular business structure because they are inexpensive to form, provide flexibility to the owners, and are easy to run. Forming your LLC legally establishes your business, limits your personal liability, and gains tax flexibility. The following step-by-step will help you as you undertake this process.
Fast Facts: Your Budget and Timeline
Here is an overview of the total paperwork, cost, and time it takes to form an LLC in Oklahoma. Be sure to read the final step in this guide - "Ongoing Filings" - to understand your ongoing costs to maintain a compliant Oklahoma LLC.
- Form SOS 00073: Articles of Organization (Oklahoma Limited Liability Company)
- Operating Agreement
- IRS Form SS-4: Obtain an EIN
- Form 40001: Oklahoma Business Registration Application
- FinCEN Beneficial Ownership Report
- Formation: $100 + optional $25 expedite fee for in-person same-day service
- Oklahoma business registration application: cost of needed licenses
- Formation: ~7-10 business days by mail. ~1 business day online or when filed in-person with $25 expedite fee.
Step-by-Step Oklahoma LLC Instructions
Check Name Availability
The legal name of your LLC may not conflict with any other registered name. Check availability of your desired name by conducting a name search.
Name Search: Oklahoma Secretary of State - Business Filing Department
Name Reservation: Optional Suffix:
The name shall contain either the words limited liability company or limited company or the abbreviations "LLC", "LC", "L.L.C." or "L.C." The word limited may be abbreviated as "Ltd." and the word company may be abbreviated as "Co.".
Oklahoma Statutes §18-2008
Appoint a Registered Agent
Before you officially file to create your Oklahoma LLC, you will need to decide who your Oklahoma registered agent will be. A registered agent is a business's legal appointee to receive notice of lawsuit and other legal or government notices.
State law requires every LLC to have a registered agent. The registered agent is designated when you file Oklahoma articles of organization with the Oklahoma Secretary of State - Business Filing Department.
Our reliable registered agent service fulfills this requirement. You get:
- Same-day documents from our local office in Oklahoma City
- Immediate online access to state forms with our address and, where required, our signature
- Annual fees from $89 to $99 per state with no additional charges
File Oklahoma Certificate of Formation
File the articles of organization to create your limited liability company.
Agency: Oklahoma Secretary of State - Business Filing Department Form: Filing Method:
Mail, fax, in-person, or online
$100 + optional $25 expedite fee for in-person same-day service
~7-10 business days by mail. ~1 business day online or when filed in-person with $25 expedite fee.
Establish Company Records
Your LLC must keep correct and complete books and records. Your filed articles of organization are the first documents for your LLC’s records. Your LLC will generate many other official records such as:
- Meeting minutes
- Operating agreement
- EIN verification letter
- Amendments and other filings made to the LLC throughout its lifetime
Organizations need a secure, centralized tool for managing and accessing sensitive records. Our Records Manager software offers a simple, efficient way for LLCs to store records, track members and managers, and customize meeting notifications.
Create the Operating Agreement
Draft an Operating Agreement (potentially using a template) which is the governing document for the LLC. It defines the formalities of how the LLC will run itself such as holding an annual meeting. You will review and adopt the agreement at your organizational meeting.
Hold the Organizational Meeting
The first meeting of the members of the LLC is the organizational meeting. You will need your filed articles of organization and your operating agreement in order to conduct this meeting. Keep minutes of this meeting and store them in your company record book.
Get a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
If your LLC has more than one member or will hire employees, it must obtain an EIN. An EIN is also often required to open a bank account.
Agency: Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form: Instructions:
Applying for an EIN without a SSN/TIN:
- Online applications are not accepted if an individual does not have a SSN/TIN.
- Form SS-4 must be completed, signed, and faxed to the IRS, leaving the SSN/TIN field blank or adding the terminology "foreign" to that line item.
- To follow up on the application, call the IRS and ensure they received the application.
- Depending on the agent you speak with, you may be able to obtain the EIN over the phone. The IRS may then fax the EIN documentation back to you.
Mail, phone, fax, or online.
Immediately online or by phone. 4 business days by fax. 4-5 weeks by mail.
The IRS website is only available during certain hours. Print your EIN before closing your session. For additional guidance, see IRS Pub 1635: Understanding Your EIN.
Get Oklahoma State Tax Identification Numbers/Accounts
Report Beneficial Ownership Information to FinCEN
As of January 1, 2024, millions of entities in the US need to report beneficial ownership information (BOI) to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) as part of the Corporate Transparency Act (CTA). LLCs formed before that date must submit BOI before January 1, 2025, while those formed after must submit it within 30 days of formation.
Our BOI reporting service completes the initial filing and provides support for updating your information going forward. We will:
- Submit your beneficial ownership filings to FinCEN
- Handle initial filing, updates, and changes as needed
- Ensure compliance with BOI reporting requirements for $149 per year
Consider Electing S-Corp or C-Corp Taxation
By default, your LLC receives pass-through taxation and the vast majority of LLCs keep this tax classification. Some LLCs benefit from electing S-Corp or C-Corp tax treatment:
- S-Corp treatment can help owner-employees who earn more than ~$75,000 per year save on self-employment taxes. File Form 2553: S-Corp Election.
- C-Corps suffer from double taxation: the corporation pays taxes on profits then members pay taxes on their distributions. If profits exceed $250,000 per owner, you provide employee benefits, or you will re-invest most of your profit in the business, you may benefit from the low tax rates on retained earnings under C-Corp treatment. File Form 8832: C-Corp Election.
Obtain Business Licenses & Permits
To run your business legally, you must obtain applicable licenses and permits. The easiest way to navigate the wide range of federal, state, and local requirements is to search by your business type and locality using the Small Business Administration Business License & Permit look-up tool.
Oklahoma Business License
General Business License licensure is not required on the State level in Oklahoma.
Oklahoma does not have a general business license at the state level, but local licenses are often required.
Ongoing Filings to Maintain Your LLC
You must file federal and state tax returns.
Many states also require business entities to file an annual report to maintain good standing with the secretary of state. If an annual report is required for LLCs formed in Oklahoma, view the table below.
Domestic corporations do not currently have an annual report requirement.More information: Oklahoma Secretary of State - Business Filing Department
For more details, see our Oklahoma annual report information center page.
As your LLC grows, you will need to demonstrate your company’s good standing to banks, customers, and other state agencies. After all the work involved in forming your Oklahoma LLC, don’t let a missed annual report filing cause your new business to fall out of compliance.
Tracking and filing annual reports on your own can be time consuming and lead to accidental lapses. Protect your LLC’s good standing with Managed Annual Report Service, which tracks and automatically files reports on time, every time, so you can focus on your business.
Welcome to Our Community
We're committed to publishing free informational resources such as this how-to guide. Our resources have been shared by important industry organizations including:
LLC, C-Corp, or S-Corp?
Choose which one is right for you.
Limiting Your Liability
Do you need liability insurance, limited liability protection, or both?
In addition to Harbor's help completing the details of my LLC they also helped me set up my first employee on a payroll. I had tried to do this in my own but became overwhelmed by the details and the process. It was not overwhelming to Harbor and they took care of the whole thing.