Start a Business in Indiana
LLC, C-Corp, or S-Corp?
Choose which one is right for you.
Limiting Your Liability
Do you need liability insurance, limited liability protection, or both?
Welcome to Our Community
We're committed to publishing free informational resources such as this how-to guide. Our resources have been shared by important industry organizations including:
This guide on starting your business in Indiana provides step-by-step instructions on the paperwork to file formation documents, obtain tax IDs, and set up company records.
Below is an overview of the paperwork, cost, and time to form each of the most popular business structures. Simply click on the link for your desired structure to view detailed step-by-step instructions.
- If you have not decided whether you want to form an LLC, corporation, or other business structure, click here.
- If wish to form your business in a different state than Indiana, click here.
Indiana Limited Liability CompanyClick for step-by-step instructions
Indiana CorporationClick for step-by-step instructions
Indiana NonprofitClick for step-by-step instructions
Top 5 Tips on Registering a Business in Indiana
- It is inexpensive to register in Indiana. Lucky you! It costs $90 plus $25 for a sales tax license, if needed. The annual report fee is only $20-$30.
- An annual report is required annually for LLCs and biennially for corporations (and annually for nonprofit corporations). This is filed with the Indiana Secretary of State. If you are more than 120 days late they can dissolve or revoke your business.
- A corporate designator like "Incorporated" or "Limited" is required as part of your business name. We will explain the list of permissible corporate suffixes.
- You can file your formation documents online with the Indiana Secretary of State. It is super-fast. You'll have a response in 15 minutes. If you choose to file by mail, remember to include the original and one copy.
- The Indiana Department of Revenue will issue your business a taxpayer identification number (TID). We'll explain how to register for state tax accounts and obtain this id.