How to Form an LLC in Maryland
LLC, C-Corp, or S-Corp?
Choose which one is right for you.
Limiting Your Liability
Do you need liability insurance, limited liability protection, or both?
Welcome to Our Community
We're committed to publishing free informational resources such as this how-to guide. Our resources have been shared by important industry organizations including:
This guide to starting an LLC in Maryland provides step-by-step instructions on filing formation documents, obtaining tax IDs, and setting up company records.
LLCs are the most popular business structure because they are inexpensive to form, provide flexibility to the owners, and are easy to run. Forming your LLC legally establishes your business, limits your personal liability, and gains tax flexibility. The following step-by-step will help you as you undertake this process.
Fast Facts: Your Budget and Timeline
Here is an overview of the total paperwork, cost, and time it takes to form an LLC in Maryland. Be sure to read the final step in this guide - "Ongoing Filings" - to understand your ongoing costs to maintain a compliant Maryland LLC.
- Form ARTORGAN: Articles of Organization
- Operating Agreement
- IRS Form SS-4: Obtain an EIN
- Form CRA: Maryland Combined Registration Application
- Formation: $100 + optional $5 returned mail fee + optional $50 expedited service fee. The expedite fee is required to file online, by fax, or in-person.
- Formation: ~10+ weeks. ~7 business days with expedite fee online or by fax. Same-day if filed in-person with expedite fee by 4:15pm.
Step-by-Step Maryland LLC Instructions
Maryland LLCs must pay a $300 Annual Report/ Personal Property fee each year to Maryland SDAT by April 15th.
Check Name Availability
The legal name of your LLC may not conflict with any other registered name. Check availability of your desired name by conducting a name search.
Name Search: Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT)
Name Reservation: Optional Suffix:
Limited liability companies.- The name of a limited liability company must include: (1) The words "limited liability company"; (2) "L.L.C."; (3) "LLC"; (4) "L.C."; or (5) "LC".
Maryland Code §1-502(b)
Appoint a Registered Agent
Identify the LLC’s Maryland registered agent. This individual or company receives notice of lawsuit and other legal service for the LLC.
File Maryland Certificate of Formation
File the articles of organization to create your limited liability company.
Agency: Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT) Form: Filing Method:
Mail, fax, in-person, or online.
$100 + optional $5 returned mail fee + optional $50 expedited service fee. The expedite fee is required to file online, by fax, or in-person.
~10+ weeks. ~7 business days with expedite fee online or by fax. Same-day if filed in-person with expedite fee by 4:15pm.
- If you do not pay the expedite fee, you could wait 10+ weeks for the secretary to process your articles.
- Upon processing, you will only receive notice of filing if you pay the $5 return mail fee. Otherwise, look in the secretary's online records ~10 business days after processing to see your entity record.
Fact Checked: 6/13/17
Establish Company Records
Your filed articles of organization are the first document for your limited liability company records. Your LLC will generate many other official records such as your operating agreement, meeting minutes, and your EIN.
Office supplies intended for an LLC will help you stay organized and save time. Membership certificate templates should come with your company record book. Each owner receives a membership certificate as evidence of his or her ownership in the LLC.
Create the Operating Agreement
Draft an Operating Agreement (potentially using a template) which is the governing document for the LLC. It defines the formalities of how the LLC will run itself such as holding an annual meeting. You will review and adopt the agreement at your organizational meeting.
Hold the Organizational Meeting
The first meeting of the members of the LLC is the organizational meeting. You will need your filed articles of organization and your operating agreement in order to conduct this meeting. Keep minutes of this meeting and store them in your company record book.
Get a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
If your LLC has more than one member or will hire employees, it must obtain an EIN. An EIN is also often required to open a bank account.
Agency: Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form: Filing Method:
Mail, phone, fax, or online.
Immediately online or by phone. 4 business days by fax. 4-5 weeks by mail.
The IRS website is only available during certain hours. Print your EIN before closing your session. For additional guidance, see IRS Pub 1635: Understanding Your EIN.
Fact Checked: 8/28/19
Get Maryland State Tax Identification Numbers/Accounts
Newly formed organizations are automatically enrolled in Maryland property tax.
Register for a Maryland tax accounts and licenses by filing:
- Submit to:
- Comptroller of Maryland
- Form CRA: Maryland Combined Registration Application
- Filing Method:
- Mail or online
- This registration includes an admissions and amusement tax account, alcohol tax license, income tax withholding account, motor fuel tax account, sales and use tax license, use tax account, transient vendor license, sales and use tax exemption certificate (for nonprofit organizations), tire recycling fee account, tobacco tax license, and/or unemployment insurance account.
Other local taxes in Maryland require no additional registration. Questions can be directed to Maryland local taxing agencies.
Consider Electing S-Corp or C-Corp Taxation
By default, your LLC receives pass-through taxation and the vast majority of LLCs keep this tax classification. Some LLCs benefit from electing S-Corp or C-Corp tax treatment:
- S-Corp treatment can help owner-employees who earn more than ~$75,000 per year save on self-employment taxes. File Form 2553: S-Corp Election.
- C-Corps suffer from double taxation: the corporation pays taxes on profits then members pay taxes on their distributions. If profits exceed $250,000 per owner, you provide employee benefits, or you will re-invest most of your profit in the business, you may benefit from the low tax rates on retained earnings under C-Corp treatment. File Form 8832: C-Corp Election.
Obtain Business Licenses & Permits
To run your business legally, you must obtain applicable licenses and permits. The easiest way to navigate the wide range of federal, state, and local requirements is to search by your business type and locality using the Small Business Administration Business License & Permit look-up tool.
- Maryland LLCs are required to file a Maryland Annual Report.
You must file federal and state tax returns. You must also file: