California Department of Industrial Relations- Public Works

Please Note

We are a service company that can help you file with the California Department of Industrial Relations- Public Works. We are not associated with this nor any other government agency. We offer paid services and software to help you file. You are not required to purchase our service to file - you may file directly with this agency without using our service.

Contact Information

Phone: 833-526-4636

Web: Home Name search


We track the following licenses with the California Department of Industrial Relations- Public Works in order to provide compliance services to our clients. As a client, you see this and other reference data in License Manager in-line with your licenses.

A laptop placed on a desk with our License Manager software on display

California Public Works Contractor Registration

Agency:California Department of Industrial Relations- Public Works
Foreign Qualification is Prerequisite:No
Insurance Requirements:

Workers' compensation coverage for any employees and only use subcontractors who are registered public works contractors.


A public works contractor is anyone who bids on or enters into a contract to perform work that requires the payment of prevailing wages. It includes subcontractors who have entered into a contract with another contractor to perform a portion of the work on a public works project. It includes sole proprietors and brokers who are responsible for performing work on a public works project, even if they do not have employees or will not use their own employees to perform the work.

Exam Required?Not Set
Registered Agent (Special Agency) Required?Yes

Automatic Exemption


Contractors who work exclusively on small public works projects are not required to register as a public works contractor or file electronic certified payroll reports for those projects. Contractors are still required to maintain certified payroll records on a continuous basis, and provide them to the Labor Commissioner’s Office upon request. The small project exemption applies for all public works projects that do not exceed:

  • $25,000 for new construction, alteration, installation, demolition or repair
  • $15,000 for maintenance

Initial Registration

Filing Method:


Agency Fee:

$400 per year. Contractors can choose to register for 1, 2, or 3 fiscal years.

Registration Renewal

Filing Method:


Agency Fee:

$400 per year. Contractors can choose to renew for 1, 2, or 3 fiscal years.


Annually, biennially, or triennially by June 30 depending on the renewal interval chosen by the registrant.

Related Government Agencies

Explore other California government agencies we can help you stay compliant with:

Order Registered Agent Service

In my opinion, their "Human Touch" element is what really makes this company stand out! I wouldn't go anywhere else!
JanaeLaw Offices of Donald W. Hudspeth, PC
It's awesome to know that Harbor Compliance is looking out for my customers' best interests and will only do what's right for them.
© 2012 - 2023 Harbor Compliance. All rights reserved. Harbor Compliance does not provide tax, financial, or legal advice. Use of our services does not create an attorney-client relationship. Harbor Compliance is not acting as your attorney and does not review information you provide to us for legal accuracy or sufficiency. Access to our website is subject to our Terms of Use and Service Agreement.