New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs - Home Improvement Contractor Section

Please Note

We are a service company that can help you file with the New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs - Home Improvement Contractor Section. We are not associated with this nor any other government agency. We offer paid services and software to help you file. You are not required to purchase our service to file - you may file directly with this agency without using our service.

Contact Information

Physical address:
124 Halsey St.
Newark, New Jersey 07101

Phone: (973) 504-6370

Web: Home Name search


We track the following licenses with the New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs - Home Improvement Contractor Section in order to provide compliance services to our clients. As a client, you see this and other reference data in License Manager in-line with your licenses.

A laptop placed on a desk with our License Manager software on display

Home Improvement is any remodeling, altering, painting, repairing, renovating, restoring, moving, demolishing, or modernizing of a structure used as a place of residence, or of any portion of the property on which the structure is located, is considered a home improvement for the purposes of the Act.

Home improvement includes the construction, installation, replacement, improvement, or repair of driveways, sidewalks, swimming pools, terraces, patios, landscaping, fences, porches, windows, doors, cabinets, kitchens, bathrooms, garages, basements and basement waterproofing, water purifiers (not including the installation or disconnection of water filtration systems), insulation installation, siding, wall-to-wall carpeting or attached or inlaid floor coverings, and other changes, repairs, or improvements made to residential property.

Construction of a new residence is not considered a home improvement under the Act.

Any person, whether a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, limited liability company or any other type of business organization that is engaged in the business of selling or making home improvements is considered a home improvement contractor for the purposes of the Act.

New Jersey Home Improvement Contractor License

Agency:New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs - Home Improvement Contractor Section
Foreign Qualification is Prerequisite:Not Set

General contractors are licensed at the county and city level.

Exam Required?Not Set
Registered Agent (Special Agency) Required?Not Set

Initial Registration


Home Improvement Contractor Application for Initial Registration

Filing Method:


  • State of New Jersey
    Division of Consumer Affairs
    Regulated Business Section
    Home Improvement Unit
    124 Halsey Street, 7th Floor
    P.O. Box 46016
    Newark, NJ 07101
Agency Fee:


  • Checks or money orders for this application are nonrefundable, regardless of the outcome of the application
  • Example attachments for this application can be found on pages 7-10 of the state-provided application deck
Before you Apply:
  • List all names the company will do business under. If using a DBA, the name must be registered with the state as such
  • Name and address of your registered agent for this license
Required Attachments:
  • Certified copies of Articles of Incorporation or formation
  • Copies of DBA/ Trade name certificates and form C-150G or the trade name certificate if used
  • A copy of the New Jersey certificate of authorization (foreign qualification) if domiciled in another state
  • Complete Disclosure Statement
  • List of owners
    • full name, home and business street address and business telephone number of each owner, officer, director, principal and person with an ownership interest of 10 percent or more in the business and the percentage of ownership held
    • If an owner holds a professional or occupational license in the state, provide the license type, agency, number, and date issued
  • Certification form
  • Certificate of insurance with the company listed as the insured
    • Policy of commercial general liability insurance in a minimum amount of $500,000 per occurrence
    • Mmust include an effective policy number, the date of issuance, the effective date and your signature
  • If prior misconduct occurred, provide proof of rehabilitation
    • the nature and responsibility of the position the convicted individual would hold;
      • the nature and seriousness of the offense;
      • the circumstances under which the offense occurred;
      • the date of the offense;
      • the age of the individual when the offense was committed;
      • whether the offense was an isolated or repeated incident;
      • any social conditions which may have contributed to the offense;
      • any evidence of rehabilitation including, among other things, good conduct in prison or in the community, counseling, or psychiatric treatment received.

Registration Renewal

Filing Method:


Agency Fee:



Annually by March 31.

Before you Apply:


Related Government Agencies

Explore other New Jersey government agencies we can help you stay compliant with:

Order Registered Agent Service

In my opinion, their "Human Touch" element is what really makes this company stand out! I wouldn't go anywhere else!
JanaeLaw Offices of Donald W. Hudspeth, PC
It's awesome to know that Harbor Compliance is looking out for my customers' best interests and will only do what's right for them.