Start a Business in Connecticut
LLC, C-Corp, or S-Corp?
Choose which one is right for you.
Limiting Your Liability
Do you need liability insurance, limited liability protection, or both?
Welcome to Our Community
We're committed to publishing free informational resources such as this how-to guide. Our resources have been shared by important industry organizations including:
This guide on starting your business in Connecticut provides step-by-step instructions on the paperwork to file formation documents, obtain tax IDs, and set up company records.
Below is an overview of the paperwork, cost, and time to form each of the most popular business structures. Simply click on the link for your desired structure to view detailed step-by-step instructions.
- If you have not decided whether you want to form an LLC, corporation, or other business structure, click here.
- If wish to form your business in a different state than Connecticut, click here.
Connecticut Limited Liability CompanyClick for step-by-step instructions
Connecticut CorporationClick for step-by-step instructions
Connecticut NonprofitClick for step-by-step instructions
Top 5 Tips on Registering a Business in Connecticut
- Registration in Connecticut is pretty predictable - that's a good thing. The process, forms, and fees, are average compared to other states.
- If you want to be fancy, you can use a corporate designator (e.g. "Corp", "LLC") in another language. Connecticut is one of the few states that permits this.
- Turnaround on formation is ~3-5 business days. If you're in a hurry, you can get ~24 hour turnaround for only a $50 state expedite fee.
- Corporations are required to file an initial report within 30 days of incorporation. LLCs do not have a similar requirement. Both corporations and LLCs must file an annual report.
- Connecticut offers a consolidated state tax registration application. You will obtain a Connecticut Tax Registration Number. State business taxes include corporation business tax, business entity tax (BET), sales and use taxes, income tax withholding, and motor vehicle fuels tax.