Managed Doing Business As (DBA) Services
We handle your DBA project from conception through maintenance. We navigate registration requirements across state lines, check name availability, prepare and file DBA registrations, track renewals, and prepare and file renewals.
- Access to a compliance specialist who consults with you on your project
- Complete document preparation, filing, and follow-up with government agencies through approval
- Full transparency of your project status and renewal tracking via the new DBA List feature in our software
Colorado DBA / Fictitious Name / Trade Name Registrations
Business entities that plan to use a name other than their legal business name may need to register an assumed name. Assumed name registration can take place at the state, local, or state and local levels of government. State specific registration information is available below.
Colorado Fictitious Name Registrations
Colorado Trade Name Registration - Non-Reporting Entity
|Agency:||Colorado Secretary of State|
This license applies only to individuals, general partnerships, estates, trusts, and other non-reporting entities.
Annually by the first day of the month following the registration anniversary month. For example, if a trade name for a general partnership was filed on June 15, 2023, the trade name will expire on July 1, 2024 unless it is renewed first.
Colorado Trade Name Registration - Reporting Entity
|Is registration mandatory?:|
Trade names are required for businesses (other than a nonprofit entity) or individuals transacting business in the state of Colorado under a name other than the person's true name. Nonprofits may file for a trade name if they want, but they are not required to do so.
|County Level Filing:|
Trade name registration is done at the state level, but in order to hold real property in Colorado under a trade name, obtain an affidavit from the Colorado Secretary of State and file it with your county clerk or recorder.
|Does registration prevent others from using the name I choose?:|
Trade name registration does not offer name protection. Your desired DBA may not conflict with any registered entity, but may be same as another registered trade name. Colorado will permit you to file a trade name that is the same as someone else's; however, be wary of infringement of trademark protection under common law.
Renewal Not Required
- A trade name for a reporting entity is effective as long as the entity remains in Good Standing or in Non-compliant status.
- If a reporting entity's status becomes Delinquent or Dissolved, the trade name remains effective for one year from the date of Delinquency or Dissolution. If the Delinquent or Dissolved entity cures its delinquency or reinstates before the trade name expires, then the trade name will continue to be effective as long as the entity remains in Good Standing. If the entity remains Delinquent or Dissolved, the trade name can remain effective by filing the annual renewal.