Washington Tax Exemption

We help your 501(c)(3) nonprofit achieve tax exemption in any state.

  • Become exempt from corporate and franchise tax.
    Use the money you save on taxes to further your mission.
  • Turnkey application preparation.
    We prepare and submit your complete exemption application.
  • Guaranteed approval.
    Get expert assistance with your tax exemption applications from an experienced specialist.

Washington Nonprofit Tax Exemption

In many states, nonprofit organizations must apply with the state tax authority in order to become exempt from corporate income and franchise taxes. Receiving an IRS determination letter does not mean nonprofits are automatically exempt from state taxes. Instead, nonprofits must apply for state tax exemption separately from applying for a 501(c) tax exemption with the IRS.

The landscape of state tax exemption is complicated, as each state has different taxes and exemption requirements. Whether your nonprofit operates in one or multiple states, obtaining exemptions from income, franchise, sales, and use taxes can consume a great deal of a nonprofit’s staff time and financial resources.

Harbor Compliance can help your nonprofit become tax exempt in Washington and other states as needed. A nonprofit specialist will work with you throughout the entire process and prepare your applications. Let us simplify your state filings so you can remain focused on your mission.

How does a nonprofit apply for tax exemptions in Washington?

To file to obtain exemption from state income tax:

Agency:Washington Department of Revenue

In Washington, nonprofit organizations are generally taxed like any other business. They must pay business and occupation (B&O) tax on gross revenues generated from regular business activities they conduct. They must pay sales tax on all goods and retail services they purchase as consumers, such as supplies, lodging, equipment, and construction services. In addition, nonprofit organizations must collect and remit retail sales tax on their sales of goods and retail services.

How long does it take to become tax exempt?

You should budget approximately three months for your tax exemption application to be processed. Any missing information will result in a delay or outright rejection. Our specialists will prepare your tax exemption application to the state’s exacting standards, allowing your application to be approved quickly.

Unrelated Business Income (UBI)

In theory, nonprofits raise money that is used exclusively to further their charitable purpose, as stated in purpose statement. In practice, organizations sometimes receive unrelated business income (UBI) as part of their daily operations. In many states, your organization may be liable for taxes on this UBI (or the entire amount of your income), and submit related filings. If you have accounting questions, about UBI or otherwise, contact your accounting professional for assistance.

How we help

Contact us today and let us know in which states your organization is looking to ensure tax exemption. We will prepare and file all your state applications so that you can focus on other activities central to your nonprofit's mission.

Nonprofit Sales Tax Exemption Service

Contact us to discuss your tax exemption needs. We prepare and file your applications for you!

Harbor Business Compliance Corporation BBB Business Review

In my opinion, their "Human Touch" element is what really makes this company stand out! I wouldn't go anywhere else!
JanaeLaw Offices of Donald W. Hudspeth, PC
It's awesome to know that Harbor Compliance is looking out for my customers' best interests and will only do what's right for them.

© 2012 - 2021 Harbor Compliance. All rights reserved. Harbor Compliance does not provide tax, financial, or legal advice. Use of our services does not create an attorney-client relationship. Harbor Compliance is not acting as your attorney and does not review information you provide to us for legal accuracy or sufficiency. Access to our website is subject to our Terms of Use and Service Agreement.