Minnesota Certification

A Minnesota certification is an authenticated document for use in non-member states of the Hague Convention. The Minnesota Secretary of State will authenticate the signature or notarization for the document’s use abroad.

You must request this certificate with the Minnesota Secretary of State in person or by mail. Submit the original notarized or certified document, contact information, and the foreign country in which the certification will be used, and the state will issue the certification.

The statutory fee is $5 per document certification.

Minnesota has the authority to authenticate a document only if it was issued in Minnesota. If the document was issued by another state, or at the federal level, you must contact the appropriate state or federal agency.

Minnesota requires the original certified or notarized document to issue the certification.

What is the contact information for the state?

Minnesota Secretary of State

Physical Address:
Retirement Systems of Minnesota Building, 60 Empire Drive, Suite 100
St. Paul, MN 55103

Phone: Metro Area 651-296-2803 Greater MN 1-877-551-6767
Fax: 651-297-7067

Website: https://www.sos.state.mn.us/
Name Search: http://mblsportal.sos.state.mn.us/
Forms: https://www.sos.state.mn.us/business-liens/business-forms-fees/
Online Filing: https://mblsportal.sos.state.mn.us/
Email: business.services@state.mn.us


What is a certification?

Before transacting business in many countries abroad, you may be required to obtain authentication of corporate documents, including Articles of Incorporation, Evidence of Merger, and other filings.

Certification is a type of authentication used for those countries that do not participate in the Hague Convention. Countries that do participate in the Hague Convention use the term "apostille." Certification is subject to additional review by the United States Department of State or by the embassy of the destination country.

Which countries accept certified documents?

Please visit the link below provided by the Hague Conference on Private International Law. Member nations accept apostille documents, whereas non-member states accept certification documents.


Apostille vs. certification?

Apostilles are used for those countries that participate in the Hague Convention. For those countries that do not participate, a certification will be used instead of an apostille. Certification, also known as "authentication," often requires additional review by the United States Department of State.

Obtaining Certified Copies

In order to obtain an authentication of a corporate document in most states, you must submit a certified copy of the corporate document. In many states, this occurs in a different division from where authentication are issued.

Notarization of documents

Nearly every state requires your documents to be notarized before submitting the apostille application. Pay careful attention to which body has the authority to notarize these documents, as it can take place at the city, county, or state level.

Minnesota Certification, Minnesota Authentication

Order Registered Agent Service
© 2012 - 2023 Harbor Compliance. All rights reserved. Harbor Compliance does not provide tax, financial, or legal advice. Use of our services does not create an attorney-client relationship. Harbor Compliance is not acting as your attorney and does not review information you provide to us for legal accuracy or sufficiency. Access to our website is subject to our Terms of Use and Service Agreement.