Minnesota Certificate of Authority

Get Your Minnesota Certificate of Authority

Minnesota certificate of authority

24-hour preparation. We will prepare your certificate of authority application within one business day and expedite your filing as needed.
Local, reliable registered agent. Includes 1-year of same-day document scanning for $99/year. No hidden fees.
Local filing office in St. Paul, MN. We can drop off your filing if you need it expedited.

Order now to view state fees and expedite options.

Order Now
Harbor Business Compliance Corporation BBB Business Review

What is a Minnesota certificate of authority?

Companies are required to register with the Minnesota Secretary of State before doing business in Minnesota. Businesses that are incorporated in another state will typically apply for a Minnesota certificate of authority. Doing so registers the business as a foreign entity and eliminates the need to incorporate a new entity.

Operating without a certificate of authority may result in penalties or fines. In addition to the state’s requirements, licensing agencies, banks, and vendors will often request a certificate of authority.

When do I need a certificate of authority?

The most common reasons for applying for a certificate of authority include:

  • Opening an office or physical location within the foreign state
  • Hiring an employee who resides within the state
  • Before beginning a contract or a job in a new state
  • A vendor or bank’s requirements
  • Licensing authority requirements

What does it cost and how long does it take?

The state fees and processing times depend on the type of entity. We prepare your filings within one business day, and make the state’s expedite options available to you. Please note that processing times can fluctuate. Approximate turnaround is listed below:

  • Limited Liability Company: 1 business day - $205
  • Corporation: 1 business day - $220
  • Nonprofit Corporation: 1 business day - $70
  • Professional Corporation: 1 business day - $220
  • Professional Corporation: 1 business day - $245

How do I get a Minnesota certificate of authority?

To obtain your Minnesota Certificate of Authority, you will submit an Application for Certificate of Authority, along with required certificates or certified copies from your home state. You will need to appoint a registered agent in order for your filing to be approved. Be sure to follow the state’s instructions carefully, as they can reject a document for the smallest error.

When you use our foreign qualification service, we quickly obtain your Minnesota Certificate of Authority. We prepare your application, serve as your registered agent, obtain documents from your home state, and eliminate costly errors.

Structure Filing Info Fee


Minnesota Secretary of State

Certificate of Authority - Original Filing

MN Stat § 303.03


Limited Liability Company

Minnesota Secretary of State

Certificate of Authority - Original Filing for 322C

MN Stat § 322C.0802


Nonprofit Corporation

Minnesota Secretary of State

Certificate of Authority - Original Filing

MN Stat § 317A.061


Professional Corporation

Minnesota Secretary of State

Certificate of Authority - Original Filing

MN Stat § 319B.04


Limited Partnership

Minnesota Secretary of State

Foreign Limited Partnership Certificate of Authority Application

MN Stat § 321.0902

$100 by mail or $120 for online or expedited filing.

Limited Liability Partnership

Minnesota Secretary of State

Foreign LLP Statement of Qualification

MN Stat § 323A.1101

$135 by mail or $155 for online or expedited filing.

What do I need from my home state?

Minnesota does not require a certificate of good standing or certified copies for this filing.

Included in our foreign qualification service, we will obtain any copies and certificates necessary to obtain a Certificate of Authority in Minnesota.

What is a registered agent?

A registered agent receives service of process and government notices on behalf of your business. When you prepare your Minnesota Certificate of Authority application, you must list a registered agent with a physical address within the state (P.O. Boxes are not allowed).

Many businesses do not have an individual or physical address in a new state. Listing our local registered agent address on your certificate of authority application meets the state’s requirements. Additionally, you get same day document scanning from our local office in all 50 states and DC. Our registered agent service is a flat rate of $99 per year, and you can easily add our service to any certificate of authority order.

What is the contact information for the state?

Minnesota Secretary of State
Phone: Metro Area 651-296-2803 Greater MN 1-877-551-6767
Fax: 651-297-7067
Email: business.services@state.mn.us

Can I obtain a certificate of authority myself?

You can prepare and submit your Minnesota certificate of authority application yourself, or we can complete the process for you. As a business owner or manager, keeping up with changing compliance requirements is probably not the best use of your time. You can rely on our expertise in all 50 states. Order now and we will obtain your certificate of authority and act as your registered agent, saving you time and minimizing costly errors.

In my opinion, their "Human Touch" element is what really makes this company stand out! I wouldn't go anywhere else!
JanaeLaw Offices of Donald W. Hudspeth, PC
It's awesome to know that Harbor Compliance is looking out for my customers' best interests and will only do what's right for them.
Harbor Compliance rocked my boat! My specialist and his team were insanely helpful and just what I needed. There are alot of things as an entrepreneur you have to do yourself but this isn't one of them. My specialist made it super easy to create my LLC and for that I'm eternally grateful! I highly recommend Harbor Compliance.
AngeliqueAngelique Arroyo LLC
When I have a real estate deal pending, I don't have any time to waste. Harbor Compliance handles all the state filings. They make it incredibly easy and complete filings quickly. I highly recommend their service!
BobOpen Door LLC
Harbor took care of the filing details so I could focus on developing my business. They saved me time and made it easy.
TemanThree Friendships Company

Foreign Qualification Service

Discover how we can quickly register your business in any state.

© 2012 - 2019 Harbor Compliance. All rights reserved. Harbor Compliance does not provide tax, financial, or legal advice. Use of our services does not create an attorney-client relationship. Harbor Compliance is not acting as your attorney and does not review information you provide to us for legal accuracy or sufficiency. Access to our website is subject to our Terms of Use and Service Agreement.